We regularly get asked about the different categories of Fire Detection & Alarm systems for commercial buildings so we decided to put together this quick guide. We hope it helps!
First and foremost, the level or category of fire detection required in a commercial premises will vary depending on the nature of business operations and the risks identified at the design stage of the process.
I.S3218 which governs Fire Detection & Alarm Systems for buildings – system design, installation, commissioning, servicing and maintenance sets out the following categories of commercial systems which are intended for the protection of life and property. (All below include manual call points)
- L1 Category – Detection provided throughout the entire premises
- L3 Category – Detection provided on all escape routes and adjoining areas
- L3/L2 Category – Detection provided on all escape routes and adjoining areas, as well as additional detection in specified high risk areas
- L4 Category – Detection provided on all escape routes only
- L4/L2 Category – Detection provided on all escape routes and additional detection in specified high risk areas
In some cases, there may be a number of different occupants in one building and control of that premises then falls to a number of individuals or external parties for e.g. you may have a building with a retail unit on the ground floor and apartments above.
Systems installed in a premises with mixed or multi occupancy are given the suffix “X” e.g. L3X
Such premises may consist of one fire alarm system or two or more fire alarm systems interlinked.
The reason for using the suffix “X” is to clarify to the fire authority that a number of individuals or parties share the responsibility when it comes to responding to a fire alarm and/or there may be a number of systems with different categories of protection that require different response strategies.
In all cases, the level of protection should be determined at the initial design development stage of a project.
Still got a question about Fire Detection & Alarm system categories or design? Why not contact us today on 051 448774.